- This is an activity related to the Research Poster: Assignment.
- The activity is worth 300 points. I will add the points to your grade after checking your draft.
Analyze the rhetorical situation and determine the appropriate audience or users of written communication, considering the needs of global audiences and people with disabilities. [CLO 1]
Use conventions of various workplace genres, such as proposals, instructions, correspondence, reports, and slide decks, with understanding of how the genre conventions can be used as heuristics and as principles of arrangement. [CLO 4]
- Apply principles of effective visual design for print and electronic presentation, including hierarchical, chronological, and spatial arrangements. [CLO 6]
- Identify and apply the principles of effective style in the composing of usable, reader-centered written communications. [CLO 7]
For this Major Writing Project Activity, create a rough draft of your project in your slide presentation software.
Complete the activities in these modules to gather information and prepare to write your draft:
You are not required to complete the activities above, but they can help you prepare your draft.
Composing Your Draft
Create a rough draft of your project in your slide presentation software. Keep the following Project Requirements in mind:
- Focuses on the kind of writing examined in your Recommendation Report.
- Is a 48" X 36" document, presented in landscape orientation (horizontal), which has been created in a slide show/presentation program (*.ppt, *pptx, or Google Slides link).
- Meets all of the requirements listed in the Scenario section above.
- Uses professional design and formatting that does the following:
- Makes a good first impression as a polished, professional document.
- Uses appropriately-sized headings and text (24 pt minimum).
- Makes information easy for readers to find and read.
- Emphasizes important information.
- Uses well-integrated, well-designed visuals to clarify the information (p. 592).
- Has presentation graphics that meet these five characteristics:
- It presents a clear, well-supported claim. (p. 587)
- It is easy to see. (p. 587)
- It is easy to read. (p. 588)
- It is simple. (p. 589)
- It is correct. (p. 589)
- Uses accurate/appropriate grammar, spelling, punctuation, mechanics, linking, and formatting.
Read additional details on the project assignment, Research Poster: Assignment.
- Create your document in your slide presentation software.
- Include a rough version of the entire Research Poster.
- Make sure your draft is clear, but don’t need to worry about spelling, grammar, and punctuation since this is a rough draft.
I will award the points for this activity after I check your draft and ensure that it meets the basic requirements listed above. Note that your draft need not be complete to earn the points for this activity, but I do expect to see that you put some effort into the project.
If I have a question or concern about your draft, I will add a comment to the draft. Check the help link in the #TuesdayTutorial: Resources on How to Use Canvas Discussion for information on how to read comments on your work.
I will not provide individualized editing or revision feedback on rough drafts. Instead I will provide collective feedback to the class that goes over the issues that I see in the drafts all members of the course submit. I may use excerpts from your draft to provide collective feedback to the class, based on the Anonymous Use of Student Texts policy.