A strong correlation exists between attending class—or attending any activity that you wish to develop as a practice or skill—and performing well. We, you fellow classmates, expect and need you to be present in class. We need your focus, your energy, your curiosity, your experience, your questions and your insights. And practically speaking, as our class emphasizes discussion, the class simply goes better the more informed opinions and ideas we have.
I will do my best to make the class one you want to attend through my preparation, effort, organization, spirit, and encouragement.
I will follow your class presence in two ways:
1. Participation. I ask that you participate in class discussions. We each possess a unique way of being in the world. Some of you like to discuss matters publicly. Some of you do not. I honor the different ways we have of being in class. Still, I would like you to be present in class; that is, actively listening, being aware and, as works for you, participating in discussion. Active listening and awareness, by my definition, severely curtails the use electronic devices for anything other than class-related use. I will leave the determination of "class-related" up to you, but patterns of behavior often tend to be noticeable. I will, then, notice. If you have any questions regarding my assessment of your participation in class discussions, please let me know.
2. Attendance. Beginning January 30, and to the last day of class, I will have a sign out sheet—a sheet I will ask you to sign at the end of class; so, I will record attendance. Of course, I will take emergencies and contingencies into account at my discretion. The attendance part of the class presence grade will be determined as follows:
You have two absences (for any reason);
• If you miss class three times, you will receive a 'B' on attendance that will figure into your final class presence grade;
• If you miss class four times, you will receive a 'C' on attendance that will figure into your final class presence grade;
• If you miss class five times, you will receive an 'F' on attendance that will figure into your final class presence grade.
Our class addresses endlessly fascinating, and truly fun, topics. You will actively shape the meaningfulness of our shared inquiry. Please come and be present with us.